Consulting firm looking for fluent English speaker (Mexico City)
Estrategia Pública Consultores (EPC) has been a pioneer in the field of public-sector strategy in Mexico. We are a boutique consulting firm with a small team of dedicated individuals who specialize in the development of effective strategies to increase our clients’ ability to contribute to decision-making processes in Mexico.
Our strategies deal not only in short-term outcomes, but focus on anticipating long-term implications and act to address them from the outset.
Our clients are primarily large multinationals, though we also serve the public sector in Mexico and some nongovernmental organizations. We seek new ventures and initiatives consistently, though in the last decade we have increased our expertise in the tourism and energy sectors.
EPC is looking for a new colleague to join its team of consultants. Consultants are the foundation of the EPC team: clients are assigned to a specific consultant, and that consultant is responsible for the products and services that EPC provides to that client, working under the supervision of the Lead Consultant and EPC’s Founding Partner. EPC offers its consultants a competitive salary commensurate with experience.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Under the leadership of the founding partner and the lead consultant, contributes to developing strategies to meet clients’ objectives in the short and long term.
• The consultant is responsible for carrying out, and giving follow-up to, the actions related with the strategy:
o Acts as focal point for all interactions with the client at the technical level, and supports the founding partner in all her interactions with the client at senior level
o Maintains relationships with both the client and relevant Mexican actors whose areas of work are relevant to the client
o Monitors the “landscape” relevant to her/his client for significant developments. This may include monitoring print and other media; giving follow-up to actions, proposals, and communications from state and federal government and civil society; tracking Congressional discussions and public processes; and analyzing relevant private-sector initiatives
o Analyzes the potential impacts of any of these development on the client’s strategy and objectives, and takes action to address these
o Drafts communications and prepares products for the client and the founding partner: updates, briefing notes and files, presentations, meeting agendas, strategy documents
o In coordination with the operational team at EPC, ensures the founding partner’s day-to-day agenda is organized in a way that allows EPC to address all client needs in a timely and efficient manner
o Convenes and prepares meetings between the client, founding partner, and relevant Mexican interlocutors, and attends on behalf of EPC where required
• Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree
• Previous experience working in team settings and in the creation and delivery of analytical products
• Backgrounds in government, the energy sector, tourism, or law are desirable, but not required
• English fluency and advanced Spanish proficiency are required. Fluency in both languages is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Competencies
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and an ability to draft high-quality products in short time frames
• Demonstrated ability for rapid analysis of complex issues, and their translation into reader-friendly, client-focused narratives
• Robust interpersonal skills, and ease working with teams
• Strong planning skills with an ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
• IT skills (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Ability to liaise with a wide variety of partners at the technical level, and to track and report developments from these conversations in a concise and clear manner
• Attention to detail; ability to track complex processes (these may include developing initiatives in Congress, public processes, and developing media trends and discussions)
• An understanding of the Mexican political and legislative context is desirable
This is a full-time appointment; expected start date is May. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Interested applicants should submit a CV and a cover letter to mgalindo(at)estrategiapublica(dot)com(dot)mx