Join now

Moving to Italy with school age children (Milan)

Help!
We are a british family of Protected content old twins and a 4 year old) currently living in Auckland, New Zealand. My husband is from Malta and speaks fluent italian and it has always been a dream of our's to try life in Italy. It seems we might now have an opportunity to move to Milan or the surrounding area but with 2 kids in school and one about to start next year this all seems rather frightening.

Those who have done this, can you advise how easily your kids transitioned into the italian school system or did you choose to put them into english/international schools? I'm worried that if we put them into italian schools, their learning will stall whilst they catch-up on the italian front.

Our youngest has not started school yet - you don't start until your 5th birthday in NZ - although she would have started school in UK in Sept Protected content we'd been living there. What age do you start school in Italy? If we were to move mid Protected content , I want to understand whether she would be joining a school year or due to start in Sept Protected content .

We have loads more questions but this will at least get us thinking about the area which is worrying us the most at the moment.

Milan Forum

Our Global Partners