Join now

State schools in Milan

My husband and just finalized our relocation to Milan for this September. So its a little bit last minute but we need to find a school for our son who is 7.

We have dual passports (Canadian and EU) and are considering staying in Italy for the long haul if things work out well. So we are looking at the possibility of registering our son in a regular, Italian language state school.

I know in Canada, although public schools were supposed to be equal that wasn't necessarily the case. Some schools had a lot more after school activities, special needs programs and elective course offerings than others and when applying to Universities your average would be lowered or raised based on which highschool you went to.

Could anyone let me know if this is also the case with the public schools in Milan? If so, which state schools would you suggest we look at?

Our son is mildly autistic and although he basically integrates he does need some special assistance at times, especially during large group activities. This is why we are particularly curious if some of the state schools may be better equipped than others.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ps. We are also looking at good quality montessori schools if anyone has suggestions.

Milan Forum

Our Global Partners