Moving to Monaco?

Connect with fellow expats in Monaco
Join exciting events and groups
Get information in our Monaco guides
Exchange tips about expat life in Monaco

Monaco: Visas and Residence

Dreaming of making the move to Monaco, one of the smallest countries on Earth? Then you had better be prepared for an extremely competitive housing market in addition to the high society lifestyle! You can read up on housing, visas, neighborhoods, etc. in the InterNations Expat Guide on moving to Monaco.
For short stays in Monaco at e.g. such sites as the famed Hôtel de Paris, EU tourists need no visa.

What Visitors to Monaco Need to Know

You can stay in Monaco for up to three months without having to apply for any kind of residence permit. You will, however, need the correct travel documents. These are the same as for any short-term stay in a French territory.

You can read up on France’s visa regulations on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Development. In short, France’s status as part of the Schengen Area means that:

  • Citizens of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA), Switzerland and a number of other countries need no visa.
  • All others must apply for a Schengen Visa. It will allow them to travel freely in all states of the Schengen Area, as well as France’s European territories and Monaco, for a maximum of 90 days in a 180-days period.

Get in touch with your closest French General Consulate in order to apply for a visa.

For Longer Stays: Visa Options and Residence Permits

Long-Term Visa for Monaco

Expats who are planning on staying in Monaco for more than three months, with the exception of French citizens, need to apply for a long-term visa for Monaco. Again, your closest French Consulate will handle the visa application.

For your application, you typically need, among other things, the following documents:

  • completed application form
  • a valid passport
  • recent passport pictures
  • police clearance forms
  • travel itinerary
  • proof of property ownership in Monaco or rental lease
  • visa fees
  • documents supporting your reason for the application, for example marriage certificate, authorized work contract, proof of sufficient means to live in Monaco without work, etc.

Residence Permit: Carte de Séjour

Once you have arrived in Monaco, you need to head to the Foreigners’ Section of the Directorate of the Police Service within eight days of your arrival. There, everyone aged 16 or above must apply for a residence permit (carte de séjour). You will again be asked to bring along a number of required documents to prove you have suitable accommodation in Monaco, the financial means to support yourself, as well as a good character.

There are four different types of residence permit, depending on how long you have already lived in Monaco:

  • Temporary Permit: 1-year permit; two renewals possible.
  • Ordinary Permit: 3-year permit, available after three years of residence in Monaco; two renewals possible
  • Privileged Permit: 10-year permit, available after ten years of residence
  • Permit for Spouse of Monegasque National: 5-year permit, available to those foreigners who are married to a Monegasque national and who have resided in Monaco for a minimum of one year

The fee for a temporary permit is 10 EUR and goes up to 30 EUR for a privileged permit (as of 2016). Once you have obtained your residence permit, also keep in mind that you need a work permit if you are planning on taking up employment in Monaco.

Obtaining Permanent Residence

The Monegasque nationality may be acquired depending on the nationality of your parents, on your marriage to a Monegasque citizen, or on your eligibility for the process of naturalization.

Through Descent

Children born to a Monegasque father or a Monegasque-born mother, who is still a citizen of Monaco at the time of birth, are granted Monegasque nationality. In other cases, Monaco as the place of birth does not automatically grant the child the local nationality, except in circumstances where the parents are unknown.

Through Marriage

Spouses of Monegasque nationals may apply for citizenship after ten years of marriage, provided they are still living together and the spouse has not obtained their own Monegasque citizenship via marriage.

Through Naturalization

You may apply for citizenship via naturalization after having lived in Monaco as an adult for at least ten years. You must be prepared to renounce your current nationality, and you shouldn’t have any outstanding military service obligations in your country of origin.

The success of your application depends on such factors as your family ties in Monaco, your level of social, cultural and economic integration, as well as your individual “worthiness”. Whether or not your application is granted will furthermore be at the discretion of H.S.H the Sovereign Prince.


We do our best to keep this article up to date. However, we cannot guarantee that the information provided is always current or complete. 

Gustavo De faz

"Meeting international people from various cultures and personal backgrounds is what's InterNations all about! "

Farrah Thompson

"Via InterNations, I quickly found other American expats at the French Riviera and immersed myself in Monaco's glamorous nightlife. "

Global Expat Guide