Join now

Giving Birth in Montevideo

Hello all -
I am looking for some advice about hospitals in Montevideo. I've just found out that my husband may be transferred to Montevideo for a ten month contract starting in November/December (we are currently in France). We are very excited about moving over - assuming that it works out - but I am currently more than twenty weeks pregnant and totally lost about the hospital situation. The British Hospital looks quite good and I would like to register to deliver there but after twenty weeks into the pregnancy I can't sign up with their scheme and apparently it would have to be out of pocket. This might work with my husband's company but I'm not sure.

So, I guess my question is if anyone has any experience showing up in Montevideo mid-way through their pregnancy or any advice about delivery in hospitals and prenatal care? I know there are several hospitals in Montevideo but I have no idea which are the best or have good maternity wings. Would the smartest thing be to push for the British Hospital? Oh - and I suppose I should note that my Spanish is rather abysmal, I will have studied before then but still won't be anywhere near fluent.

Sorry for the novella here but we are totally lost with how to proceed. Thanks for any and all help!!

Montevideo Forum

Our Global Partners