Join now

Thinking to move to Montevideo

Hello,

My husband and I live in Toronto, Canada, and we are thinking of relocating to Montevideo in November/December of Protected content . We will have our first daughter in August, so we will be coming with a 3/4 month old. Our income will be about $ Protected content for the first year, money will be coming from Canada and we would like to live and work in Montevideo.

Neither of us has ever visited South America and we wonder whether we would be able to find employment, whether we would fit with the life style, what we can expect once we come there.

My specific questions are: How much is rent in or around Montevideo? I am flexible about the area and I am open to suggestions. Would we be able to survive on ~$1500CAD/month until he can find a job? We would bring some extra money with us.

Would my husband be able to find work in painting/construction? He speaks Russian and English, is it difficult for foreigners to find employment? Is there any demand for divers in Uruguay?

Would I be able to find employment in an office? I currently work in the Financial Services industry in Toronto.

We are looking for a lifestyle that is a slower pace than Toronto. Toronto is a big city and there is a lot of competition. I feel like I live in my office and there is no work/life balance. I would love a place that is a little more laid back, but not too boring as I do like to go out every one in a while. We are also looking to avoid the harsh winters of North America and indulge in a country with rich culture. We would both be learning Spanish, I pick up languages quite quickly.

Any information, advice, suggestions of other places that I should consider would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Montevideo Forum

Our Global Partners