Join now

Moving to Moscow - taxes, import?

Hi, I am US citizen. Fluent in Russian. My wife is Russian. We live in Montenegro with her 12 year old son. I have 8 year old biological son in Moscow. Our car has German plates. So yeah - such are our circumstances!

I am trying to figure out implications for moving to Moscow.

1. Income Taxes. I have sufficient income from military retirement. I don't receive any W2's. I also have Roth IRA accounts. I know US has bilateral tax treaties with various countries regarding worldwide income. Curious to know if my retirement income will stay tax free?

2. House. We plan on buying new house. The question is, can I use a Roth IRA to make an overseas home purchase? I am in mid 40's so I can't use my Roth IRA penalty free unless under certain circumstances. I know home purchase is a special circumstance, but since US lawmakers tend to have an island mentality, I am used to special circumstances for anything imaginable only applying on US soil. Hope to hear otherwise!

3. Customs... Ok, so I have musical equipment. Maybe valued at $15,000. I have plans to sell it. Are customs laws such that I would need to pay duty taxes or are there provisions for not having to pay? In various countries there are usually provisions depending on nature of items. For instance if in support of arts, there are often exemptions. ALso we have some furniture that we would move on a truck, and so trying to figure out what is needed to get household items into Russia as cheaply as possible. How about car? When I lived in Germany I didn't pay import on a US spec'd car I had after military retirement because in Germany if you bought the car 6 months or previous from entry date, you don't pay anything. In Russia?

4. Social perks. Even though my 8 year old son wouldn't live with me in Moscow, would I still be eligible to receive govt money to help support him? For that matter, what about for our 12 year old son?

5. Regions to live in. My 8 year old son lives with his moth near Park Druzhba, near metro Rechnoj Vokzal. Been reading about the OZAO area, and some of the districts within it. Seems like people generally regard that area pretty well. Curious if anyone here has thoughts.

Hope to hear from someone here!

thanks

Moscow Forum

Our Global Partners