Join now

How's your adaptation process going? Any tips? (Munich)

In Protected content moved from Mexico to Germany together with my husband and two kids. Let me start by describing my first months living in my host country with just a couple of facts: bread instead of tortillas, mountains, and fewer ocean views, German and less Spanish, punctual meetings instead of appointments with a fixed 15 min delay, several seasons and not only summer with some cold days. It doesn’t sound like a big change; however, after some months, these small things made me feel far away from what I knew. I felt separated from what I used to call home and start feeling lonely, frustrated, and lost.

When I decided to move to Germany, I was not aware that expectations and ignorance about the culture, language, behaviors, and norms of my future host country would play against me. It took me almost two years to adjust my plans and to get adapted. Now I feel like I belong and that the process I went through helped me to become aware of our reality. We live in a multicultural world and we should care about learning about each other, about our cultures, about our differences. Has anyone gone through a similar process (Culture Shock)?

Munich Forum

Our Global Partners