Join now

Seeking Candid Advice About Jobs in Munich

I am on an extended visit to Europe from Canada. While here I'm spending a portion of my time seeing whether there are job opportunities in Munich. I have 23 years of experience building software professionally, 18 of which have been as a self-employed software consultant. My skill-set is most certainly in demand in Canada, America, Singapore, and Hong Kong. But in Munich the messages I often get are:

1. You need reference letters for every bit of work you've ever had since you started working.

2. Unless you have lengthy periods of employment with large companies, you'll never get a job here.

As for #1, I don't know any person over 30 in North America who sought & got such letters beyond the early days of their career. Furthermore, I don't know of ANY entrepreneur/consultant in North America who would ever ask a client for such a letter.

If #2 is true then all folks like me better not waste any time looking in Germany.

I would love to get feedback from expats in Munich about your thoughts on these things!

Robert

Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners

Munich Forum