Join now

Advice on places to live in Muscat.

Hi all,

I am currently living in an apartment in MSQ and will be vacating it at the end of December. I am looking for advice on where to move to in Muscat. My reasons for leaving are manifold: I don't particularly like apartment living, I come from the countryside back in Ireland and have lived in houses all my life except for a 7 year stint in a flat during the '90's. I have a house-worth of furniture being shipped from Bahrain in December and need somewhere nice to put it into. I have been doing a lot of driving around and need to know more about a few places that interest me.

Athaiba/Ghubra:
Pro's:
It's convenient to my work: my office is in Ghubra near the Porsche garage; it's near the beach, it's near to the MGM, there are several villas in the area for rent that I might be able to afford, it's not too far from the airport, it's on the right side of the city for traveling to Sohar or Dubai.

Cons:
I can't really think of any other than it being a bit away from Muscat proper (where more things to go to and do may or may not be!!) and the rent being a bit on the high side, but I know I'll have to pay for what I want.....am I missing something?

Al Hail North:
Pro's:
Rent is cheaper, it's nearer to the airport, it's on the right side of the city for when I need to go to Sohar ( a weekly occurrence), it's closer to the karting track and I plan to use that place extensively, it's not too far from the beach.

Con's:
It's further from work and Muscat and where things seem to happen, it seems to be under development in a lot of areas, I've heard traffic can be a pain in the ass. What else am I missing?

I'm not interested in the wave, it reminds me a lot of the property boom in Ireland and is definitely overpriced for what you actually get. The roads to Qurum seem to be in a perpetual state of traffic jam and I don't want to be stuck in a car for hours just to get home. I haven't been able to find much around Madinat Al Ilam but there could be things I'm missing. MSQ is expensive for what's there and even though it's convenient, I don't get the warm and fuzzies about the place.

Can you guys tell e a bit about where you're living, how you like it and what you think of my choices? I would appreciate any information no matter how trivial you might think it is.

Thanks,

Brian.

Muscat Forum