Join now

Frustrated in Muscat

Views

Hi Everyone,

I need to let out my frustrations, and I appreciate your oppinions and advise you might have.
In advance I do appologise for this rather negative post, and I must say that besides below issue, I do love Oman and its friendly people.
I'm scandinavian, have lived and worked in Muscat for 5 years. Due to family reasons, I plan to stay in Muscat. I was recently fired from my job due to low business. During the 2 years I were in the company (a job I got through someone who knew someone) I tried continuesly to find a better job, a better position..as I were unsure about the companys future. Turned out I was right in my fears, and I'm now without a job. A very difficult situation.
During job hunting, I have had so many shocking experiences.The amount of back stabbing, and guys who wanted to use me for their personal use is unbelivable. I have been banned from applying from several companies and institutions ( not officially of course )...because I said "no" to the guy incharge. I have had many interviews, but only one time in 5 years, did I get a reply back from the interview, with reasons and explanations to why I didnt get the job.
My point is : I'm 41, divorced with 2 daughters, I have worked since I was 14. I'm honest, loyal, and hard working. No major degrees, but tons of experience in many fields. How difficult can it be to find a job on a local contract, without having to be best friends with the manager, or without being willing to do "extra services" ? I do know about the omanization issue which makes it harder to be an expat now, but thats not the major issue here..
I would really like your honest thoughts on this issue, have anyone, mostly women i guess, experienced the same difficulties ?
Your advise is much appreciated, as I'm close to giving up here
Thank you

Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners

Muscat Forum