Join now

Finding the right place to live (Nairobi)

Views

Hi all, I have just been appointed to set up our offices in Nairobi to service the East African market. The catch is that all our business in in Athi River and the JKIA will be a regular destination. Neither is a location my wife or I would like to call home :)

I have been reading up and all the recommendations are Karen, Langata, Gigiri, Muthaiga, Runda, Ridgeways, Brookside, Kileleshwa, Lavington, Loresho, Hurlingham, Kilimani, and Westlands. Great, but I have dogs so appartments are out, so that eliminates half of these areas it would seem. The rest are rentals ranging from 250,00 to 350,000 Ks for a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house. Is this about right or am I being taken here as the ignorant Mzungu (forgive me Africa is home)

Secondly are there any reputable estate agents, I have had my fair share of agents who really do not listen and end up showing me everything I do not want.

Driving around today I really like: Ruaka, Almasi Garden Estate, some nice places in Lavington, Gigiri and Loresho.

Loved Karen but I could not find any gated complexes with vacant houses.

I am in Kenya this week so any help would be greatly appreciated. I intend on coming back in two weeks time for the same exercise :) and then a week in Feb with my wife as she has the final say in matters of the home LOL

We have two dogs, a Rottweiler and a Staffie so garden is a non-negotiable.

PS: for those who think these two breeds can not go together, they are both males and are best buddies.

Nairobi Forum

Our Global Partners