Join now

Unfurnished or Furnished? (Nairobi)

Hi! I am looking to relocate to Nairobi around May Protected content . If all goes well I will be living there for Protected content . I am weighing my options/ asking for opinions as to whether I should get a furnished/serviced apartment or go for an unfurnished apartment. When I lived in Nairobi briefly last year I lived with friends at Eldon Villas Serviced Apartments and while I loved the location, it was rather pricey.

So here are my questions:

1. Know of any cheap serviced apartments either in Westlands or on Ngong Road? I would love to live within walking distance of a grocery store.

2. How much would it cost to furnish an apartment? Is it possible to get an apartment that is semi furnished (fridge, washer/dryer, kitchen appliances)?

3. Ultimately, what would be more cost effective for Protected content ? It seems daunting to go out and buy a bunch of appliances for a relatively short time. But if its cheaper int eh long run I can consider it.

4. Any other nice areas near downtown? I love Ngong b/c public transport runs all night and I feel safe if I don't have to enter a back road at night. Any other places like this?

Thank you in advance!

Nairobi Forum