Indian Rice Pudding or Kheer Recipe (New Delhi)
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 50 minutes
Soaked Rice – 1/2 cup
Whole Milk – 1.5 cups
Sugar – 3 tbsp or to taste
Raisins – 1 tbsp
Chopped Pistachios – 1 tbsp
Chopped Almonds – 1 tbsp
Powdered Cardamom – 1/8 tsp
Saffron – a pinch or Rose Water : Few drops
1. Soak the rice in water for an hour prior to cooking and then break it between fingers.
2. In a heavy bottomed pan, add in the the Milk, bring it to a boil then lower the heat to medium and add the Rice.
3. Keep stirring till the milk reduces (for 30 minutes or so) and rice gets completely cooked. Make sure the mixture doesn't stick to the bottom or it will burn.
4. Meanwhile, soak the Raisins in a little bit of water to help puff them up. You can also soak a few strands of saffron in a spoon of water.
5. Once the pudding reaches the desired thickness, add in the Sugar. Mix well.
6. Add in the Dry fruits – Raisins (without the water), Pistachios and the Almonds.
8. Turn off the flame and add in the Powdered Cardamom or few drops of Rose Water as shown in the video link or Saffron soaked water to bring out the taste of this dish.
9. Serve hot as a morning/evening dish or cold as a dessert.
1. When making the kheer, over cook the rice just a little.
2. One needs to be very careful and and keep stirring frequently.
3. If you like a smoother texture of rice in the kheer, just mash it lightly before adding it to the Milk.
Kindly watch this link for a practical demo: