Join now

Assimilation into NYC/US culture without coworkers (New York)

Views

After attending my first NYC Rooftop meetup after lurking for 18 months due to Covid19 concerns, I met some very interesting people.

One of the common topics was the difficulty people were having figuring things out on their own since their arrival.

When I was an ex-pat in Paris, my overseas assignment was rapid. I didn't speak French yet (6 years of German study didn't exactly prepare me) but my company did send me to a week-long class series on French culture and customs and how to get basic things done so that when I arrived I wouldn't be as overwhelmed.

I was fortunate that my company was US-based as there were already American ex-pats there to help me understand daily French life and how and where things were.

Back to NYC. Those I spoke with said they've basically have been "thrown into the deep end of the pool" without assistance as Covid19 protocols of WFH and Zoom have some who haven't even met a coworker in person yet. Wow!

So, I'm wondering if there's any interest in forming a "support group" of NYC locals who would be interested in organizing meetups to address some of the concerns of the newcomers to NYC/US.

e.g.
1. How to best get around effectively (Subway, taxi, car hire services, Citibike, Revel, etc.). Weekly monthly passes, tap-to-pay, etc.

2. The unspoken cultural rules at bars, restaurants, coffee shops.

3. The dysfunctional culture of tipping in the US (this is very confusing for most new to the US).

4. The more interesting parts of The City to explore as NYC is not just Midtown and the UWS. e.g. Governors Island, Hudson River trail, Inwood Park, etc.

Without co-workers as initial guides, I think we can do better in filling this gap.

Thoughts?

New York Forum

Our Global Partners