Moving to Norway?

Connect with fellow expats in Norway
Join exciting events and groups
Get information in our Norway guides
Exchange tips about expat life in Norway

Visa Requirements for Norway

Moving to Norway is the ideal thing to do for expats who like fjords, reindeer, and harsh winters — among other things. However, the captivating scenery is not all that Norway has to offer. In our InterNations Expat Guide you will learn all about moving to Norway: the visa requirements, public transportation system, and more.
Once you have mastered Norway's visa application process, you can begin to enjoy Norway's natural wonders.

There are different types of visa for expats who wish to work in Norway. Citizens from EU or EEA member states may live and work in Norway straight away without applying for a residence permit. If you are an EU or EEA national who wishes to stay longer than three months, you must obtain a registration certificate from the Directorate of Immigration (UDI). For details, please see our ‘Registration of Residence’ section below. To find out whether your country is a member of the EU or EEA and you therefore do not require a residence permit, please view this list.

Expats from non-EU or EEA countries, for example India, need a residence permit. There are various residence permits available, depending on your type of work. These include such groups as skilled workers, seasonal workers, exchange program and organizational workers, and diplomats. You will also need a tax deduction card, ID number, and to report your residence at a tax office.

Our following section focuses on how to acquire a residence permit for a skilled worker to live and work in Norway as a non-EU or EEA national. You can also find out about tax deduction cards, an ID number, and reporting your move to Norway.

Getting a Visa as a Skilled Worker

Are you planning to apply for a residence permit as a skilled worker from outside the EU or EEA? Keep in mind that there is an application fee of 3,700 NOK for the standard residence permit. To be classed as a skilled worker in Norway, you must have vocational training, a university degree, or special qualifications gained through long work experience.

If you wish to apply on the grounds of special qualifications, you must have gained expertise through long work experience combined with other professional training. Please note that a skilled workers visa is rarely granted on the basis of special qualifications.

Before you can apply for a skilled workers visa, you need to have received a written offer of employment from one specific employer, requiring skilled worker qualifications, proof that the pay meets the official requirements in Norway, and the number of working hours per week. The duration of your work contract must be mentioned as well.

Your salary and working conditions may not be lower or worse than those which are stipulated in the collective agreement of the respective Norwegian industry. Further details on the required pay in Norway can be found through the Directorate of Immigration.

The Application Process

Once you are sure that you fulfill all the necessary requirements, you should turn to a Norwegian consulate or embassy located near you. An alternative is to apply from within Norway if you have held another type of residence permit for the last nine months. It is important that you are residing legally in Norway.

When you apply for a visa at the consulate or embassy, documentation must be submitted in either Norwegian or English. For a successful application, you need to submit the following original documents:

  • passport
  • signed cover letter (if you have applied online) or filled out application form            
  • two passport photos
  • a completed UDI offer of employment form
  • record of your previous education, including the level and duration
  • previous documentation of employment, your tasks, and qualifications
  • documentation proving the pay meets Norwegian requirements
  • CV
  • proof that you have somewhere to live
  • signed checklist, which can be found here

In most cases, you are able to apply online for your visa. If you do so, you will automatically receive an appointment for handing in your paperwork at the embassy. If you do not apply online, you will need to get in touch with the embassy and ask for an appointment. Make sure to contact the Norwegian embassy or consulate nearest to you for more information.

Application processes for residence permits may differ in some cases depending on your country of origin. For full information regarding your specific country, please see the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration.

Registration of Residence

If you are an EU or EAA national living and working in Norway for longer than three months, you must declare your presence in Norway by registering with the police. You will receive a document called a registration certificate. This application is free, and you need only register once, regardless of how long you intend to stay in Norway.

Whether you are an EU or EEA national or not, to work in Norway for longer than six months you must have a tax deduction card, an ID number, and have reported your move to Norway. Head to the nearest tax office, which is run by the Norwegian Tax Administration. To report your move to Norway and register your address, you need to bring your passport, an employment contract for at least six months, a rental contract for at least six months, and the completed form “Notification of your move to Norway from abroad”.

To apply for a tax deduction card at the tax office, please bring your passport, employment contract, and the completed form “Application for tax deduction card for foreign citizens”. You are required to have a personal ID number (personnummer) before you can apply for a tax deduction card. Simply visit your nearest tax office with your passport to have your ID validated. You will need this ID number on various occasions, for instance, when doing your taxes or opening a bank account.

Application and registration processes for tax/ID cards may differ in certain instances — please contact the Norwegian Tax Administration for specific details.


We do our best to keep this article up to date. However, we cannot guarantee that the information provided is always current or complete. 

If there’s something you’re still not sure about, check out the InterNations Forum.

David Hicks

"Thanks to my network on InterNations, I already had some contact persons to ask for support on coming to Oslo. "

Amelie Barreau

"Enjoying the great spirit of our InterNations’ Oslo Community for the last few months, I am absolutely convinced of the vision to bring people from different nations together."

Global Expat Guide

Top Articles Expat Guide