Moving to Oman?

Connect with fellow expats in Oman
Join exciting events and groups
Get information in our Oman guides
Exchange tips about expat life in Oman

Visas for Oman

Are you planning a move to Oman? For a quick update on the sultanate in the Gulf region, just have a look at our InterNations Guide. A short country profile, visa information, and tips on expat accommodation are the ideal introduction for all expats moving to Oman.

Only Paying a Short Visit?

If you’d like to go to Oman on a business visit or a fact-finding trip before your actual move, you need a visit visa to enter the country. There are two types of visit visas — the single-entry option and one permitting multiple entries.

The single-entry tourist visa can be obtained at all Omani missions abroad. It is usually valid for a month and can be extended for another month by applying at the Directorate General of Passports and Residence.

Nationals of selected countries can simply acquire a visit visa upon arrival at all official entry points. Everyone else needs to acquire a tourist package from an officially approved travel agency to be granted a visa. Please ask at your nearest Omani embassy or consulate which regulation applies to you.

You can get a multiple-entry visa under similar conditions. It is valid for up to one year and allows you to enter the country for several stays of three weeks each.

Want to Work in Oman?

If you are hoping to take up employment in Oman, you can only do so under the visa sponsorship system. In order to qualify, you must be a foreign national between the age of 21 and 60 and have a confirmed job offer from a company in Oman. Your future employer becomes your visa sponsor.

Your employer needs to request a labor clearance from the Ministry of Manpower. Sometimes, they also need to contact a professional association in your field of employment (for example, in the healthcare sector). The HR department will usually let you know which documents they require for this part of the application process (e.g. professional qualifications, diplomas, references).

In addition to the official labor permit, the following paperwork is typically required for an employment visa application:

  • valid passport (original and copy)
  • several passport-sized photographs
  • health certificate from an approved foreign clinic and attested by the Ministry of Health

Bringing Your Family with You

The spouse and children under the age of 21 of a work visa holder can submit an application for a family joining visa, provided the employee has a minimum monthly wage of 300 OMR, is working in a senior job in Oman, and lives in accommodation rented in their own or their employer’s name. The visa allows the sponsor’s family members to reside in Oman but not to work there.

For a successful visa application, both parties have to include a copy of their passport, and the employee must attach the copy of their valid labor/resident card, a copy of their lease agreement, as well as proof of their income. The latter can be, for example, a signed form by the Ministry of Manpower on the employee’s salary or six months’ worth of bank statements. The applicant also needs to include two passport photos in color.

Most importantly, you need to provide proof of relationship, for example a confirmed copy of the marriage or birth certificate, approved both by your embassy and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Lastly, for certain nationalities, health certificate requirements apply to family members, too.

For further details on requirements, as well as other visa types (e.g. student, investor, or research visas), please contact the closest Omani embassy or consulate or the Royal Oman Police.

Two Combined in One: The National ID Card

After arriving in Oman, expats are required to get their national ID card.

You have to apply in person at the Directorate General of Civil Status of the Royal Omani Police. Normally, you need the following documents:

  • your passport
  • a medical certificate
  • a completed application form
  • your work permit and a clearance from the Ministry of Manpower (for expat employees in the private sector)
  • a letter from your employer (for expats in the public sector)

You must also have your fingerprints taken and share your electronic signature. As application requirements can be subject to change, check with your employer or the police for up-to-date information on the application process for ID documents.

A resident card is extremely important for access to all kinds of other services. Therefore, you should obtain it as soon as possible after arriving in Oman — at most, within 30 days following your arrival in the country.


We do our best to keep this article up to date. However, we cannot guarantee that the information provided is always current or complete.

Francois Carpentier

"Coming with my family wasn't easy at the beginning, but thanks to the local scouts we received some excellent advice. "

Marielle Depois

"I will never forget the great support provided the InterNations Ambassador in Muscat when I came to Oman as an expat woman on my own. "

Global Expat Guide

Top Articles Expat Guide