Join now

18 y/o daughter arriving in January (Oslo)

Views

Hi there, My name is Max and I live here in Oslo since December Protected content . I have a daughter (Swedish AND NZ passport holder) who has lived for 10 years in Hamilton, NZ with her mother (we are divorced since Protected content . Ashleigh has been waiting to come and live with me for 10 years and now when she turn Protected content and after she has finished High School, she will move permanently to Norway to live with me. This move has been talked about and planned for almost 5 years and now it is soon happening. We are both extremely exited to finally be a family again.
While she is busy with exams and trying to plan her last months in NZ, I thought I'd start preparing a bit, ask around about what we need to think about...
She will arrive to Oslo as a Swede (with her Swedish passport). She doesn't really speak any Swedish anymore, so our plan is for her to learn Norwegian as soon as possible. We understand that speaking the language make everything easier.
She hasn't taken her drivers license yet, so I guess that is step two (or together with step one, learning Norwegian), but then what...and this is why I write here:
1. Where would we be turn for her learn Norwegian? We understand that there are language courses that cost money. What options do we have when it comes to learning Norwegian for free? Can someone give us advice about this? Where do I turn?
2. She has finished High School in NZ and want to further her education. But where do we start to find out how her high school grades translates to the Norwegian 'Viderer gående'. And where does she continues? Looking at the Norwegian Education Layout, a normal 18 year old would be in the third part of Videregående (trinn 3). Does anyone know how this works?
I guess I have many more questions, but lets start there.
I am very grateful for any tips or advice.
I write in English to broaden the chance to get help, but I do speak Norwegian (well, OK 'Svorsk' a mix between Swedish and Norwegian).
May thanks in advance.
/Max

Oslo Forum

Our Global Partners