Join now

"Researcher with own funds" visa questions (Oslo)

Hi! I recently received my philosophy PhD and arranged to visit UiO for a year as a "researcher with own funds." Due to COVID, I wasn't able to apply for my residence permit from the US, so I traveled here (I'm in Oslo now) on my 90-day tourist visa and applied from within the country. I have a few questions. Sorry for their length. Any help appreciated!

1. After arrival in Oslo, I filled out the "researcher with own funds" application on UDI.no. After doing so, my application was forwarded to the " Oslo police district, Service Center for Foreign Workers," I paid the Protected content fee, and I made an appointment at the Service Centre for Foreign Workers. In documentation I have read about the process, some websites refer to a "residence permit" and others to a "visa." Have I applied for a visa or a residence permit? Or, as is my guess, are these the same thing in this case? And, at my appointment with the SUA, will I receive a residence card, or will I merely be notified that my application is complete and that it will be processed?

2. On the checklist UDI supplies, I see a section titled "Additional documents for some applications." That section contains the following item: "If you submit your application in a country other than your home country: documentation that you have held a residence permit for the last six months in this country." I am applying from Norway, so I suppose this applies to me? However, I am here on a tourist visa Protected content , and so I cannot provide the indicated documentation. Is this a problem?

3. While here in Oslo on my tourist visa, are there actions I should be taking to get myself established in Norway? For example: opening a bank account, registering my address somewhere or reporting to the SUA that I've moved to Norway (though I'm only here on a tourist visa now), registering for a tax ID number, etc. I was initially under the impression that I couldn't do any of this before my appointment with the police, but perhaps that is incorrect. When I tried to establish an account at the public library, I was told that I should already have some sort of identification number, but I don't believe I have anything of the sort. A number of the things I'm talking about are listed here: Protected content .

Oslo Forum

Our Global Partners