Join now

Support for master thesis about German-Canadians (Ottawa)

(For information in German see below)

Support for master thesis about German-Canadians

My name is Anke and I am a 24 year old graduate studying International Migration and Ethnic Relations at Malmö University, Sweden. Originally I come from Wesel, a small town in Germany, situated around 60 km north of Cologne.

I am currently in the final year of my studies and thus am working on my master thesis which explores the topic of the migration experiences of German-Canadians. More specifically I am interested in the role which German language, culture and tradition play in your life in Canada. To which extend ties to your country and/or region of origin are maintained, and the ways in which you would define home and belonging.

A travel grant from GKS (Gesellschaft für Kanada-Studien = association for Canadian studies in Germany) enables me to stay in Ottawa for two months, from the beginning of March, to the end of April Protected content . In preparation for my visit, I contacted Pastor Friedrich Demke, Dr. Helmut Zobl, and Dieter Kiesewalter, to obtain a first-hand insight into the German-speaking community in Ottawa. I am now looking forward to get to know more about life among the German-Canadian community in Ottawa and hopefully to get to know some of you on a personal basis.

During my time in Ottawa, I would be more than happy to talk to you in person and learn more about your personal experiences with Canada, as well as the significance of German culture, language and traditions in your life.
All personal data will of course be kept anonymous, information obtained during these conversations will be dealt with in a confidential way, and will only be used in the context of my research.

If you have further questions, comments or remarks, do not hesitate to contact me. You can reach me via telephone ( Protected content ), email ( Protected content ), or Skype (anke_14). I am thankful for any help and I am looking forward to hear back from you!

Best wishes, Anke

Anke Patzelt
International Migration and Ethnic Relations
Malmö University

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Protected content

Unterstützung für Masterarbeit über Deutsch-Kanadier

Ich heiße Anke, bin 24 Jahre alt und mache gerade meinen Master in International Migration and Ethnic Relations, an der Universität Malmö, in Schweden. Eigentlich komme ich aber aus Wesel, einer kleinen Stadt am Rhein, die ca. 60 Minuten nördlich von Köln liegt.

Zurzeit befinde ich mich im letzten Semester meines Studiums und beschäftige mich demnach mit meiner Masterarbeit, die sich mit der Migrationserfahrung von Deutsch-Kanadiern beschäftigt. Vor allem möchte ich darüber schreiben, welche Rolle die deutsche Sprache, Kultur und Traditionen für Ihr Leben in Kanada spielt und wie diese beibehalten werden. Inwiefern Sie Kontakt mit Ihrem Heimatland und/oder -region aufrecht erhalten, sowie wie Sie Heimat und Zugehörigkeit definieren würden.

Ein Reisestipendium der GKS (Gesellschaft für Kanada-Studien) ermöglicht mir einen zweimonatigen Aufenthalt, von Anfang März, bis Ende April Protected content , in Ottawa. Über E-Mail Kontakte u.a mit Pastor Friedrich Demke, Dieter Kiesewalter und Dr. Helmut Zobl, habe ich schon einige erste Eindrücke von der deutschsprachigen Gemeinde in Ottawa sammeln können. Nun freue ich mich darauf, mehr über das Leben in Ottawa zu erfahren und Sie möglicherweise auch persönlich kennen zu lernen.

Während meiner Zeit in Ottawa, würde ich mich freuen, persönlich mit Ihnen über den Stellenwert von deutscher Sprache, Kultur und Traditionen in Kanada zu sprechen, und natürlich auch, um mehr über Ihre ganz persönliche Geschichte nach und Ihre Erfahrungen in Kanada zu erfahren

Selbstverständlich werden Ihre persönlichen Daten dabei anonym gehalten, alle Informationen werden vertraulich behandelt und ausschließlich im Konetext meiner Forschung verwendet.

Wenn Sie weitere Fragen, Kommentare oder Anmerkungen haben, stehe ich Ihnen jeder Zeit zur Verfügung. Sie können mich per Telefon ( Protected content ), E-Mail ( Protected content ) oder Skype (Nutzername: anke_14) erreichen. Ansonsten hoffe ich auf zahlreiche positive Rückmeldungen und bin für jegliche Hilfe sehr dankbar. Ich freue mich auf ein baldiges Kennenlernen mit Ihnen.

Beste Grüße, Anke

Anke Patzelt
International Migration and Ethnic Relations
Malmö University

Ottawa Forum

Our Global Partners