Join now

English Speaking Contact at Banistmo? (Panama City)

Hi All,

This is my first post, so please excuse any foibles.

On my final immigration visit to Panama in early May, I was finally able to secure a bank account at Banistmo. Due to the recent Panama Papers fiasco, I was told getting a bank account has been very difficult. Nonetheless, after 8 trips to 3 different banks, I was able to open an account.

I provided all of the required documentation, they opened the account, I paid my minimum deposit and they told me to come back when I returned to Panama Protected content later) to pick up my debit card.

Fast forward to last Monday, I head straight from the airport to the branch and pick up my bank card. So far, so good. I get home, sign up for online banking and voila. A bank account with the deposit I made, minus annual service fees.

Now today, I went into a local branch to ask about getting a soft token (for online wire transfers) and they tell me my account has been disabled (in Spanish). They couldn't explain why and told me I have to go visit the person who initially set up the account. Now this person also did not speak English, so I had to have a translator translate for me. That translator is no longer available to me.

So to my question, does anyone have a trusted contact at Banistmo who speaks English (or even a little, because I realize I am in a Spanish speaking country, so I am willing to try) and may be willing to help me figure out what is going on?

Thanks.

Panama City Forum

Our Global Partners