Join now

Opening a Bank Account in France (Paris)

Hello,

I've just arrived in Paris (less than two weeks ago) and I am having the worst time trying to get Internet set up in my apartment, which is essential for me as I work from home!

No carrier will let me have Internet without a French bank account. OK, but it's been impossible to open a French bank account so far!

I've tried the Banque Postale twice -- first they want something like an Internet bill in my name (what a Catch- Protected content course I can't have an Internet bill in my name until I get Internet -- which I can't get without a bank account -- etc.). The owner of my apartment wanted to keep the utility bills in her name and I'll reimburse her...which means I have no utility bills in my name. I have the rental contract and a letter from her and copies of her ID, taxes foncieres, taxe d'habitation, etc., but they are insisting that I must bring in the original ID of the owner of my apartment -- this is impossible, since she lives in Italy.

Then I tried BNP Paribas and they told me that I must have a minimum of 10,000 EUR in order to open an account (!). Absurd.

Ideas? Anyone? Please help! This is so frustrating!

Paris Forum

Our Global Partners