Join now

Quick Survey on Firefly Watching (Penang)

Hi all,
I would like to survey that any of you are interested in firefly watching by Sungai Kerian, Nibong Tebal?

I have got a good deal from a local there which you pay RM 10 per person (min. 5 persons and max. 18 persons) for a boat trip to watch firefly in the evening after sunset. But, it has to be no later than May because we are stepping into the monsoon season. Very much depending on the weather!

Afterwards, we could try some local food like seafood there, I think should be more reasonably priced than those sold in Tambun.

Just to share some astonishing behaviour of the fireflies with you from Protected content

There are different species among fireflies and patterns of lightening incl. colours (slight variation) and frequency of flashes etc. differs across species. The female does sometimes feed on males from other species. Male of the same species with the female, for the sake of mating, mimics in two ways to increase the opportunities of mating. Mimicking the food of the female (which is male from other species), so instead of getting food, she gets male of the same species. And mimicking the female of other species to scare away other males of the same species, so that there is less competition.

Astonishing isn't it!? :)

Penang Forum

Our Global Partners