Project title: Better Factories Cambodia
Post level: US$ Protected content month
Contract type: External Collaboration Contract
Duration of contract: One year
Job Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Better Factories Cambodia (BFC) is an innovative programme of the International Labour Organization that works to improve garment and footwear factory conditions and advance workers’ welfare. It is based on a model of improvement that includes monitoring for compliance with the Cambodian labour law and core international labour standards, and remediation training, advisory services and capacity building activities.
BFC Consultancy is meant for an enthusiastic and flexible person looking for work experience and passionate about improving working conditions in Cambodia’s garment and footwear factories. This work will suit a candidate with excellent communication skills and a strong interest for telecommunications. The purpose of this role is to work in conjunction with relevant BFC staff and other stakeholders to assist two initiatives:
1) The mobile application on Cambodia’s labour law
The project consists of developing a mobile application for androids and iphones based on the content of the Cambodian labour law. The objective of this initiative is to bring the Cambodian labour law to the fingertips of those who research it and to those who work in the industry in an interactive, easy to use format which is searchable and applicable to real-life situations. By making the labour law readily available and digestible for those working in the industry it is envisaged that this application can increase knowledge of the law and help to increase compliance in the industry.
2) The mobile phone project to communicate with workers via Interactive Voice Response (IVR)
The project aims to facilitate communication with workers through the implementation of a mobile phone IVR system. BFC will use mobile phone communications to both deliver information to workers and to obtain information from them. Designated phone numbers will be advertised through various mediums and promoted in factories. Workers can call the number to take a short labour law focused quiz that will both provide information to BFC about the level of knowledge workers possess and deliver information to workers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The consultant’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Mobile Phone Project
• Collaborate with the appointed IT Development Company to develop a mobile phone Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system, ensuring efficient coordination between BFC and the IT Company;
• Assist in the research and development of the initial questions for the quiz;
• Collaborate with the appointed IT Development Company on translating the quiz to IVR format;
• Support BFC and BW to launch the program with factories and workers;
• Manage the compilation of analysis and data from respondents;
• Assist in the preparation of the marketing campaign of the project to workers.
Labour Law application
• Assist in working with BFC monitoring staff to get inputs on content;
• Assist in working with BFC and BW staff to obtain photos;
• Assist in working with BFC and BW staff to develop interactive components;
• Work with the appointed marketing company to manage the marketing and dissemination strategy.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Recently graduated or a current student (Undergraduate or Graduate Programme) in the field of telecommunications, computer science or related concentration.
Fluent in written and spoken English and Khmer languages
1. Educational background in Information Technology/ Computer Science or related field
2. Interest in applying technology to social needs
3. Interest in the Cambodian garment sector
4. Ability to analyze and compile data
5. Ability to work individually and in a team
Candidates should submit their CV as well as a motivation letter, briefly stating their reasons for applying, how they fit the profile described above and how the internship will contribute to their overall academic/professional goals. The documents submitted in the application should not exceed 4 pages.
Both documents should be sent to: Protected content or to Better Factories Cambodia Office at # 9 Street 322, BoeungKeng Kang 1, Phnom Penh, closing date for application is 7 November Protected content , 17:00
The ILO is an equal opportunity employer. Women and persons with disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply. Only short listed applicants will be contacted.
For more info about ILO-BFC please visit Protected content