Join now

Moving to Montenegro - a ton of questions :) (Podgorica)

Hey everyone, I'm pretty new here. My situation in a nutshell: me and my wife work remotely so all we need is solid broadband connection. We're looking into Montenegro for a change of pace, better weather and a bit better value for money situation. There's a bunch of questions that come with it though:

1) Taxation. I know the income tax is 11% and VAT is 21%. What's added on top of that? Do I just pay 11% and that's it? Or is there also some mandatory insurance stuff on top of that?

2) Cities. Which ones would you recommend? The hard requirement for us is easy access to proper, at least 100/10 mbit broadband connection. We were looking primarily at something on the coast. Kotor looks very pretty with both water and mountains, but if the service is very bad there, it's out of the question.

3) How is Montenegro with quality of life services? Can I order groceries online for example? How easy is it to get a housekeeper? Basically... How many years behind western/central Europe are we talking here? 10? 20?

4) What's the medical care like and do the doctors speak English? That would be a very important thing for my wife especially.

5) What are the rules concerning animals? Can I take my dog with me no problem or is there tons of paperwork?

6) Are there some websites to look for an apartment / house for rent? Do you guys have some links so that I can take a look at the prices and general availability? All google gives me is airbnb and the like.

7) Can anyone recommend an accountant or lawyer that can help set up a company in Montenegro?

8) I heard that access to semi-rare / semi-luxury goods is relatively limited in Montenegro. Like high-tier hardware or musical equipment, etc. At least comparing to just walking into a mall and basically tripping over macbooks, 4k TVs and designer dresses. Is that true?

9) what's the access to asian cuisine like? Both in terms of restaurants (japanese/indian/chinese) and ingredients? (my wife can hardly live without sushi, pad thai or butter chicken :P)

10) How liberal is Montenegro? On the scale from religious fanatics and abortion bans to completely laid back and do whatever you want as long as you're not hurting anyone?

Podgorica Forum

Our Global Partners