Join now

Problem opening a Czech bank account (Prague)

Hello there,

I plan to move to Prague in the next months, and I want to open a Czech bank account so I can pay the monthly rent and other bills using my Czech bank account. I visited 3 different banks in Prague, but they won't allow me to open a bank account, because they need either my residence permit from the Czech Interior Ministry or a job contract that proves my connection with Czech Republic. Currently I don't have an employer in Prague, because I am taking a break now and will start finding a job after I have settled down in Prague. And I will only get my residence permit from the Czech Interior Ministry after I have moved to Prague. I am EU citizen by the way, so getting a residence permit should not be a problem for me.

So now I got a problem: I need a Czech bank account before I move to Prague to pay my monthly bills, but no bank is willing to open a bank account for me without a job contract or a residence permit. I don't have a job now, and I can only get my residence permit after I have moved to Prague. I asked Raiffeisen Bank, Expobank and Česká spořitelna by the way.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

George

Prague Forum

Our Global Partners