quite a few people seem to be interested in nearby day/weekend trips around Pune (judging by the response to my post about a homestay). A few people phoned and asked about other such places too. So here're a few more places I have visited and liked. This timing should be perfect, the monsoon is just getting over (we hope) and the countryside is just lush and beautiful. The weather should be mild (although October heat may bother a little). Now onto suggestions:
1. Karpewadi is a Protected content drive from Pune, a beach ‘eco’ resort right next to a very nice, clean, very safe and almost private beach. The charges for a weekend are very reasonable (around 3-4K which includes all veggie meals) in a very clean but no frills accommodation (that's for a couple!). They can cook seafood on order. They don't like people drinking and making too much noise. Responsible drinking on the property is OK. The resort has its own chickens, cows etc and kids can see cows being milked. The owners live on the property and personally manage everything everyday! They are generally selective renting rooms as they don't want the tranquility of the space to be disturbed. If you're looking for a wild-party type beach resort, this is not the place. But if you want peace, quiet, eco, fabulous beach, excellent veggie food, familial fun, responsible drinking/smoking etc, you'd be welcome there. There are a few attractions nearby such as an ancient temple and lighthouse etc. Protected content .
2. Sula vineyard in Nashik: India’s most premier winery. Their resort is nice and relaxing near a big lake. The room charges would be Rs. 6K per night per couple including all meals (no wine :-). Winery tour included. Nashik is about Protected content drive from Pune. Protected content .
3. Bhandardara: this is also about 5 hrs drive from Pune. The weekend package should set you back about Rs. 15K in a nice resort for one couple (again food included). Bhandardara has a dam, lake, nice waterfalls and lots of mountains (it’s nestled in mountains). Sahyadri mountain range’s highest peak is nearby. Has some nice drives around. Protected content Note that Bhandardara is close to Nashik, so you can possibly make this a two night trip including Sula Vineyard if you have time. That's what we did (actually 2 nights in Bhandardara and one night at Sula)
4. Deep inside Konkan coastal region: I recently visited this place deep inside the coastal region. Takes about 6 hrs drive from Pune. But a different kind of hospitality. Nestled between two Konkan towns: Ratnagiri and Ganpatipule. The former is a city, the latter is one of the most holy places. This place is absolutely charming. My travelogue about this is found at: Protected content
5. There are other places such as Fort Jadhavgadh, Aundh Museum etc that folks at a different kind of travel portal can point you to: Protected content .
If you want any other info about these including my experiences, pl don't hesitate to call me ( Protected content )