Join now

I'm here :D (Quito)

Views

It's been a while since I've posted on here, I apologise for that. As the title indicates, I've now arrived In Quito. I got here on January 2nd, and I've spent the last fortnight meeting up with Monica's (my Ecuadorian fiancée) family and friends.

Good news: Monica and I have our civil ceremony arranged for Thursday next week, which I'm delighted at.

Bad news: I've had a kidney transplant, and another thing Monica and I have been doing is researching how to get my medication here in Quito. So far, we've had no luck at all.

So here are my questions.

1) For a gentle starter question, I would love to come at least a few of the events that are organised here. However because Monica and I have spent a lot of time apart, we like to do as much as possible together. Is it OK for me to bring her along and if so, how much is it?

2) According to Monica, my Spanish is actually OK. However I am suffering from a severe lack of confidence, consequently I hardly say a thing outside of the house. Can anyone recommend anything that might help?

3) After Monica and I get married next week, I'm going to apply for the visa that allows me to stay here permanently (married visa, infinite visa?), so I'll need a job. Can anyone recommend how an expat can go about a job search here? I've heard from Monica's family that some companies don't like employing non-Ecuadorians, is that true?

4) I'm expecting a no from this question, but there's no harm in asking. Can anyone tell me of a doctor in Quito that does treatment, check-ups and medication for kidney transplants? The other day the British Embassy gave us a list of English speaking doctors in Quito. I'm yet to call them to ask, but I am thinking that there is no problem in asking here whilst I'm on the forum.

5) I'm sport mad and in the UK I am able to watch all of my favourite sports and sports teams on TV or the internet. I've got a subscription for my favourite football (soccer) team, so watching them isn't a problem. The other sports I watch are cricket, field hockey, badminton, tennis and squash. Is there any way to follow the European leagues for these sports here in Ecuador?

6) Linked in to no. 5, I also play a bit of most of those sports, although I'm a terrible footballer. Are there any sports teams for expats, or will I just have to find a local team to join? And I know there isn't any cricket or field hockey here...I've checked :(

Many thanks guys, it's great to be here and I'm looking forward to meeting some of you :D

Quito Forum

Our Global Partners