Join now

Mixed Signals - Teaching English in Rio (Rio de Janeiro)

Hello Everyone,

My apologies if this is listed in another discussion group but I wasn't able to find the right answer to my question. I am currently living in Boston, MA and after three years surrounded by Brazilian culture up here I want to make the leap to actually living in Brazil.

I have a M.Ed from Harvard University but I do not have a TEFL or TOEFL certificate. I've spoken with several companies there that are requiring several thousand dollars (US) for a 4 week certification program. And then I hear other people saying it's a rip off. I'd like to do the appropriate thing and legitimately teach English in a proper way. But I agree that shelling out that much money seems a bit absurd. I know I could get TEFL certified online as well, but if I go that route, should I be doing that before I leave? I'm currently working 2 jobs in order to save money to make the move so it's a bit tough. I'm just wondering with a Master's degree if then that's even necessary.

Does anyone have any advice or connections to help me? I plan to move to Rio (short-term for now) early Protected content doing my research now.

Much obliged!

Anne

Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners

Rio de Janeiro Forum