Join now

Moving to Rio for six months (beginning in Feb.) (Rio de Janeiro)

Hey Everyone,

First and foremost, I'd like to wish everyone an adventurous Protected content with great memories! Second, I'd like to thank you in advance for any assistance advice you may provide.

Now, a little bit about my move; I currently reside in Atlanta, GA (USA), however have made a decision to move to Rio for a few months. The purpose of my move is two folds; I'm taking a sabbatical from work so that may assist those that are less fortunate and from a personal standpoint, take some time for myself to “expand my horizons” (e.g. better my basic Portuguese skills). Having provided you with brief background, please find below a few questions which will help me get prepared for my move:

1.) Learning the Language - I lived in Rio earlier this year for a month and took Portuguese classes at a private school, Casa do Caminho, in Ipanema. I’ve also heard that PUC has a course for foreigners, however the deadline for me to enroll in it has passed. Anyone have any other suggestions for learning the language in a school setting? If not, more than likely, I’ll take classes at Casa do Caminho again.

2.) Accommodations - This next one is the real challenge! I’m looking for a one bedroom apartment in Leblon, Ipanema Arpoador or Copa (so basically, Posto 4 through 12, with preference between 6 and 9). I’d like a furnished place starting February, through the end of July. I’m not looking to share a room; I’d like my own place. I’ll also entertain a two bedroom and an unfurnished one bedroom. Ideally, I’d like to find something in the range of R$ Protected content to R$ Protected content .

3.) Volunteer Opportunities – One of the reasons for my move is to be able to volunteer and help the less fortunate. I’d like to be able to teach English to kids in Brasil. I do not have any teaching credentials, however I am a native speaker of the language. Casa do Caminho has a program where they teach English to kids so I’m going to check with them if they need assistance, however I’m looking for other leads. If you know of any, please do let me know.

Once again, thank you for any assistance you may provide!

Cheers,
-Jay

Rio de Janeiro Forum

Our Global Partners