Join now

How to get a work visa for a +1 to a student (San Francisco)

Hello everyone,

I hope someone here can help or has been in the same situation:

My partner might move to SF for his PhD studies and he'd obviously get a study visa. We're both European citizens.
The question is: what about me?

I'd obviously need to work and you're not automatically entitled to apply and receive a work visa once your partner has a study visa like you are in Canada (been there, done that!).

What would be the best way for me to follow him to SF WITH the right for me to work?
Is it best to start with an internship and then try and make it into a permanent job?
Go on a tourist visa, find a job and then..what?

Does anyone know how this could work out for us and what the rules and best solutions are?
It's rather stressing us out...

Also, I'm really hesitant of the job market in the USA though I could be wrong of course...

Thank you so much!

San Francisco Forum

Our Global Partners