Join now

Obtaining Certified US Documents for Work Permit (San José)

Hi All,

I am beginning the process to acquire the Costa Rican work permit for technical workers. I am already living in Costa Rica on a non-expired tourist visa. I need to acquire all of the documents ASAP as I am supposed to start work in April Protected content month). The problem is that I do not already have a certified birth certificate or the criminal record with the apostille seal here with me.

I contacted the local authentication/state notary and I understand how to get my birth certificate (without going in person) with the apostille seal, but I have NO idea how to quickly get the criminal record with the apostille seal done.

Any tips? Also, what is the best way to have documents mailed (expedited to be received at my front door within a few business days) from the US to Costa Rica? UPS Worldwide? FedEx? USPS Priority International?

Also, is it possible to submit SOME of the documents for the application and receive a file number so that I can start working while I wait for the other apostilled documents to arrive in the mail?

If someone has specific experience on this, I'd love to buy you a cup of coffee this week.

My email is Protected content

- Mia

San José Forum

Our Global Partners