Join now

Looking for employment in travel or tourism (Santiago de Chile)

Hi everyone! I am in need of some employment advice. I have been living in Santiago for a little over a year now working full-time as a private English instructor, but I really want to make the switch to a job in travel or tourism. I worked in NYC for years in the hospitality and hotel industry, as well as working as a freelance travel writer and photographer. My goal here would be to work with a travel company or tour operator, or even a hotel. Does anyone have any info about that industry here or any insight as to where to go from here? I've heard that in general it's pretty difficult to find employment here, and that the salary is not so comparable to what you might get in the States. (I saw one full-time position for 700,000 a month, for example...is that average?)

My level of Spanish is intermediate right now, so I'm hoping that being a native English speaker with a strong travel, hospitality, and sales related resume will be assets. I'm open to other places in Chile too, not just Santiago. Thank you in advance...these forums have been so helpful to me in the past and I really appreciate anyone's input.

Saludos,
Marci

Santiago de Chile Forum