Join now

Flower Festivals in Korea? (Seoul)

Views

I was retrieving information for flower festivals around Korea for my foreign friends and realized that not many festivals that Koreans think quite big and popular are available in English. I wanted to share this for tho who want to catch the last breath of blooming flowers but had trouble finding information. I picked three: Jinhae (진해), Gurye (구례), and Gwangyang(광양). (How far are they from Seoul? Protected content )

All these three festivals are held till THIS SUNDAY! (31st March, Protected content . I'd like to remind you that traffic and crowd can challenge your patience. It is reported that flower blooming has reached 99% this weekend. I'm guessing flowers stay even after the festival so you will have chance to visit if you can't make it tomorrow ;)

1. Jinhae Gunhangje (진해 군항제) - flower: sakura

- How to go:
1. By BUS: Seoul Nambu (South) Terminal (Metro #3; 서울남부터미널) -> JINHAE (진해): 6:50, 7:00, 8:20, 9:50, 11:30, 14:30, 15:40, 16:30, 17:30, 18:30, 20:00, 22:50, 23:10, 4hr 20min; ₩26, Protected content
2. By TRAIN: You need to make transfers. Seoul (서울) - Masan (마산) - Changwon (창원)
More info on train schedule and fee: Protected content

- Brief info: This festival - to commemorate one of our all-time-love navy general from Chosun Dynasty Sun-Shin Yi (이순신 Protected content managed by navy, thus, called Gun (군; armed forces) je (제; festival). Flower: Sakura (Korean: 벚꽃)

* For people who are going to CHANGWON (창원) and then to JINHAE (진해): Normally it should take 30 min from CHANGWON to JINHAE, but there seems to be too much traffic these days (cars can't even move!). Some people just stay around in center of CHANGWON. They have CHANGWON sakura street (창원벚꽃거리). Pictures: Protected content

2. Gurye Sansuyu Festival (구례 산수유 축제) - flower: Sansuyu (Cornus officinalis)

- How to go
1. By BUS:
1) Seoul Nambu (South) Terminal (Metro #3; 서울남부터미널) -> Gurye (구례): 6:30, 8:00, 9:30, 11:30, 13:30, 15:30, 17:30, 19:30, 22:00; 3hr 10 min; ₩19, Protected content
2) Guryegu station (구례구역) -> Gurye terminal (구례터미널; By Bus/Taxi; Protected content
3) Gurye terminal (구례터미널) -> Sansuyu festival (산수유 마을) (By Bus): 06:10, 07:30, 08:10, 09:40, 11:30, 12:30, 13:20, 15:20, 18:10, 19:30, 20:10

2. By train: You need to make transfers.

- I would like to recommend this one with combination of Hwaeomsa (화엄사), one of important Buddhist temple in Korea located in Mt. Jiri (지리산) (Website: Protected content If you start from early in the morning, you can try Gurye Terminal - Hwaeom temple - Festival in one day. If you want to go slow, I think you can stroll around in two days too. (There are lots of accommodation around festival area.) If it's difficult for you to get on the buses, taxi is also reasonable: Gurye Terminal -> Temple ₩7. Protected content . ₩10, Protected content Temple -> Festival ₩ 15, Protected content

3. Gwangyang Maehwa festival (광양매화축제) - flower: Maehwa (Prunus Mume)

- How to go:

1. By BUS: Seoul Nambu (South) Terminal (Metro #3; 서울남부터미널); 8:20, 11:30, 13:20, 15:00, 16:20, 17:40, 19:00, 20:10; 3 hr 30 min; ₩ 29, Protected content
2. By TRAIN: You need to make transfers. Seoul (서울) - Masan (마산) - Gwangyang (광양)

Lastly, for checking schedules and fee and making reservations, visit:
Seoul Numbu Terminal (bus): Protected content
Bus: Protected content
Train: Korail; Protected content (Available in English)

Wish I could have shared this earlier. Hope you find it beneficial! If there's anything to add/correct, please let me know. Should you have any questions, you're welcome to ask for other information or even translation :)

Seoul Forum

Our Global Partners