Moving to Seoul?

Connect with fellow expats in Seoul
Join exciting events and groups
Get information in our Seoul guides
Exchange tips about expat life in Seoul

Seoul: Visa Types and Expat Registration

Don’t miss out on the information in our guide on South Korea’s expat hotspot. We tell you all you need to know for your move to Seoul, including advice on visas, transportation, international districts, and more. Relocating to Seoul has never been this easy!
Once you have your visa, you can enjoy everything Seoul offers.

The Different Visa Types

There are different types of visas for expats moving to Seoul for work or business purposes. Which one you need usually depends on the duration of your stay and the type of employment you wish to take up. Some of the most common types of visas for expatriates are :

  • Temporary Employment (C-4)
  • Intra-Company Transfer (D-7)
  • Foreign Language Teaching (E-2)
  • Special Profession (E-5)
  • Specially Designated Activities (E-7)
  • Employment after Industrial Training (E-8)
  • Non-Professional Employment (E-9)
  • Temporary Journalism (C-1)
  • Short-Term Business (C-2)

After your visa has been granted, you have 90 days to enter the country. If you fail to do so, it will expire, and you will have to go through the application process all over again.

How to Apply for Your Visa

You will likely need a temporary employment visa (C-4) to rightfully move to Seoul and take up gainful employment.

In any case, you should contact your nearest South Korean embassy or consulate for details regarding your visa application. You can usually apply by submitting the following paperwork:

  • one passport-sized photo
  • a valid passport
  • an employment contract
  • a copy of the certificate of registration of your Korean employer
  • a recommendation of employment by the responsible Korean minister or another document which attests the necessity of your employment
  • proof of payment of fees

However, the application requirements may differ depending on the type of visa. Keep in mind that your employment visa is only valid for the time and place of your actual employment. This means that, when your contract expires, you will have to leave South Korea within 14 days. If you are able to secure another job or simply change your place of employment, you will have to contact the Immigration Office to receive a brand-new visa.

Paying for Your Visa

In terms of fees, your visa for moving to Seoul falls under one of the following three categories.

  • single entry visa for no more than 90 days
  • single entry visa for more than 90 days
  • double-entry visa
  • multiple entry visa

Registering as an Expat

After you have secured your employment visa and have successfully mastered your move to Seoul, you are not through with the red tape yet. Everybody who intends to stay longer than 90 days needs to apply for an Alien Registration Certificate. You need to contact the Seoul Immigration Office and submit the following documents:

  • an application form
  • a valid passport
  • one passport-sized photograph
  • the registration application fee (about 30,000 KRW)

Changes in your address or your visa status may mean that you have to re-register with the Immigration Office. Either way, you will have to report your new address if you move and any other changes within 14 days. Upon registration, you will receive a foreign registration card which is valid for one year.


We do our best to keep this article up to date. However, we cannot guarantee that the information provided is always current or complete.

Vladimir Rostev

"InterNations not only helped me finding great business contacts but it moreover helped my family to quickly settle in."

Mia Lindberg

"Getting to know other Scandinavian women was so easy with InterNations. We quickly got connected and became friends."

Global Expat Guide