Join now
Log in Join

Moving to South Korea?

Join InterNations to meet other expats where you live and read more articles like Visa Requirements for South Korea with relevant information for expats.

Vladimir Rostev

Living in South Korea, from Russia

"InterNations not only helped me finding great business contacts but it moreover helped my family to quickly settle in."

Mia Lindberg

Living in South Korea, from Sweden

"Getting to know other Scandinavian women was so easy with InterNations. We quickly got connected and became friends."

InterNations - a community of trust

South Korea at a Glance

Visa Requirements for South Korea

Expats in South Korea do not only benefit from the fast economic growth of the country. It is also a fascinating nation where rapid advancement and Confucian traditions co-exist. Read our InterNations guide on moving to South Korea for info on visas, public transportation, and the government.

Types of Visas

South Korea offers different visa types for expats who visit the country to work or do business. The duration of your stay and your type of employment usually determines which kind of visa you need to apply for. The most common ones are:

Once you have received your visa, you have to enter the country within the following 90 days. After this period of time, your visa expires and you have to go through the application process once again.

The Process of Applying for Your Visa

If you plan on taking up gainful employment, you probably need a temporary employment visa (C-4). Ask your future employer to assist you with the application process. If you are going to work for a multinational company, they may even handle the visa application for you.

However, if you are taking care of the details on your own, you should get in touch with the South Korean embassy or consulate nearest to you. Expats usually apply by submitting the following documents:

Keep in mind though that the exact application requirements depend on the visa type you will apply for. Your employment visa is only valid for the time and place of your employment. This means that with the expiration of your contract your visa is not valid anymore and you have to leave South Korea within two weeks. Of course, you can try to secure a new job. In that case, you have to contact the Immigration Office for a new visa.

Visa Fees

No matter which type of visa you apply for, it will fall in one of three categories in terms of fees:

However, not all nationalities are required to pay these fees. You can take a look at South Korea’s immigration site for a list of countries which fall under the fee-exempt agreement.

Registering as an Expat

Even after you have successfully applied for an employment visa, there is still more red tape to deal with. Are you planning to stay in South Korea for more than 90 days? In that case, you need to apply for an Alien Registration Certificate. Contact the Immigration Office in Seoul or one of the branch offices and turn in the following documents:

Once you’ve done so, you will receive a foreign registration card which is valid for one year. Please remember that, with every change of your visa status and every move, you are required to go through the registration process again.


We do our best to keep this article up to date. However, we cannot guarantee that the information provided is always current or complete. 

InterNations Expat Magazine