Moving to Stockholm?

Connect with fellow expats in Stockholm
Join exciting events and groups
Get information in our Stockholm guides
Exchange tips about expat life in Stockholm

Visa Requirements for Stockholm

Stockholm is the dream of many expats who can’t choose between urban buzz and rural serenity. Located on 14 islands, it has a lot to offer to urbanites and outdoor enthusiasts alike. Read the InterNations guide on moving to Stockholm for advice on districts, visa requirements and transportation.
Expats from non-EU states need to apply for a work visa before moving to Stockholm.

Unless you are a national of an EU/EEA member state, you need to apply for a work visa before you move to Stockholm. Although you can submit your application directly to your nearest consulate, it is advisable to submit it online to the Swedish Migration Board. This is due to the fact that online applications can be answered more quickly, however due to the current refugee situation, even if your application is submitted online, there is still a predicted 2–5 month waiting time. Your work visa will be placed in your passport, allowing you to travel to Sweden as you wish. Keep in mind, though, that until your application has passed and you receive your work visa, you will not be allowed to travel to Sweden.

Application Process

Once you have received your written offer of employment, approved by the responsible trade union, you are ready to apply for your visa. Your visa application is either handled by your nearest consulate or embassy or by the Swedish Board of Migration. Keep in mind that your spouse and your children need their own work or residence permit.

Necessary Documents

Expats who are about to apply for a work permit have to submit the following documents:

  • an application form
  • a valid passport and a copy of the picture page
  • a written offer of employment (Anställingserbjudande)
  • application fee (for a standard work permit this is 2,000 SEK)


When your spouse and children apply for their residence permits, they have to submit the following:

  • a valid passport and a copy of the picture page
  • an application form
  • two passport-style photos
  • a copy of your marriage certificate (or equivalent) or a document proving that you have lived together in your country of origin as common-law spouses
  • birth certificates of your children
  • a certificate proving that your children over 21 can finance their stay in Sweden


All documents should be translated into either English or Swedish.


As we have mentioned before, only nationals of EU and EEA member states are free to move to Sweden and work there without obtaining a residence permit beforehand. While this makes starting an expat assignment in Stockholm quite easy for European citizens, they too have to register their residency.

Make sure to register with the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) within three months of your arrival. You will need to visit your nearest Skatteverket where you will then receive your Swedish personal identity number and will be registered under your address. Nordic citizens are exempt from the registration of residency.


We do our best to keep this article up to date. However, we cannot guarantee that the information provided is always current or complete. 

Nathan Reed

"With InterNations I quickly connected with other Canadian members who became close friends over time."

Barbara Melington

"The best thing about InterNations? Definitely the offline get-together. Meeting other expats in real life helps a lot."

Global Expat Guide