Join now

800 GEL/mo 85m2 Apt. Dighomi Mass IV (Tbilisi)

Available from November 1, Protected content earlier if someone is particularly interested. We can move out sooner, as we've already started moving into our new place.

Two bedroom hardwood floored apartment in Dighomi 4, which is located on Akhmeteli Street, opposite the IMEDI Telecompany. I will update this thread in the coming days with photos once we are moved out and things are cleaned up.

Note that this is NOT one of those western grade marble floored palaces that has New York style finish and rents for $2,000 a month. It's a nice, comfortable apartment, with decent relatively new (a year old or so) furnishings. It's well cared for, and in a nice place. Not too far from town, and not too close either if you don't want to be in the center of the city. The stairs are a little old and beat up, but then it's a 20 year old building. It's just a decent place, with great owners who are pleasant to be with, and very considerate people.

The apartment includes two sofas, two large chairs, a living room table, dining room table and chairs, older tube TV, all necessary dishes, pots, pans, plates, and utensils. There is a new full-sized refrigerator, gas stove, and gas water boiler, and one Karma gas heater. There are two new beds, two bedside tables with drawers, and one large wardrobe. The bathroom is a bathtub in a reasonably newly remodeled style, with a new toilet. The washing machine is the kitchen. There is also a balcony with a table and chairs, and an attached storage area with shelves and such on the porch.

The apartment is on the top floor of a 5 level building (no lift), and the neighbors are pleasant. There is easy access to smaller markets, with a 24-hour larger Nikora market nearby. It's 5 Lari in a taxi for a forager (no Georgian or Russian language skills) to get to Vake or the big Tbilisi Mall / Carrefour. 4 Lari if you know the language and can haggle like my wife.

The only problems with the apartment are that the kitchen is rather small. The place can also be a little cold in the winter, because the windows are the older style wooden single pane type. We put plastic over them last winter, so it was not an issue for us. The washing machine also leaks a little occasionally (no problem washing clothes, and we just put a towel down for that).

Summer is not really an issue in terms of being too hot, other than about ten days or so, as the apartment runs the across the entire building. The wind blows constantly through the place in the summer, so it's always pleasantly cool (minus those ten or so days). One side looks out at other larger apartments, and has a so-so view. The other side looks out at the mountains where Jvari is, and has a nice view year round.

There are no air conditioners Protected content so Lari to install one, as I understand). You could probably arrange something with the apartment owner if you were interested. We don't use air conditioners, so it was not a problem for us.

I've replaced most of the lights in the place with long live bulbs, so there shouldn't be an issue with the cheap style bulbs going out every couple weeks (minor, but irritating, especially when the cheap ones explode everywhere).

There are very nice restaurants and some hotels quite close by (Babilo, Tbilisi Hall, Czech Brewery, Cruise, etc.). Additionally there are people in the building who will work as a housekeeper for very reasonable rates.

If you have children, there are several Baga-Bari (spelling?) children's schools nearby. There is also a play area in front of the apartment, and two parks nearby (check the map link below). One park is nice to walk in, and the other park is much larger, and a great place to run and exercise (pull up bars and such). There are also two gyms nearby (one iron man style, and one more western). The Judo school is also about two blocks away walking.

There is also parking if you have a car.

At any rate, let me know if you're interested. There are no agent fees or other related 'extra' costs. The owners prefer foreigners or families who will take care of the place. They're great people, and the only time you'll see them is if you need something fixed, or they're coming to collect the rent (they haven't come in the apartment once since we moved in, other than to replace the toilet shortly after we moved in). They are also fluent in English, Georgian, and Russian.

If you're interested, let me know. When they advertise the place it is usually listed at $600, and negotiated down to $500, so I'm passing on our Protected content arrangement.

Edit - I forgot to mention that it's walkable to the US Embassy if you're at all like me and worry about things like that. About 2.5km by foot, and 3km by car.

Google Maps Link - General Area: Protected content