Join now

Air quality in the Republic of Georgia (Tbilisi)

Hello,

These environmental informations are censored by Expat.com :

"Respiratory diseases caused by air pollution are becoming a public-health crisis. According to statistics released by Georgia’s National Center for Disease Control and Public Health, at the end of Protected content , the number of registered cases of respiratory diseases stood at more than 225,000 in Tbilisi alone. In a city with population of 1.1 million, that is a rate higher than 20 percent. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) caused by inhaling tobacco smoke accounted for a large chunk—74 percent—of those respiratory cases.

Smoking is culturally embedded in Georgia, so the city chokes under a haze of tobacco smoke. “Georgians have a very welcome attitude towards smoking,” said Beka Gabadadze, a social worker, who took part in a campaign pressuring the government to impose a smoking ban in public places.

“On my daily commute, when my taxi driver asks me if he can smoke in the car, I usually say ‘okay’ to avoid awkwardness or confrontation. That forces me to open the car window—and I realize there’s no fresh air outside the car to breathe, either. It’s a double whammy,” he said."

Source

Protected content

Protected content

Protected content

Protected content

Protected content

Regards

John

Tbilisi Forum

Our Global Partners