Join now

Moving in! Tips about setting up home in Tokyo?

Hello everybody,

I'm excited about moving with my hubby to the Tokyo metropolis in just a couple of weeks! (Probably to the west of Tokyo/ Fussa area.)
Are there any Japan/ Tokyo specific tips, tricks or rules you can think of that I might have to observe when relocating to this area? With my last intercontinental move (Germany - US) I noticed there were a lot of small things that were just different that I wouldn't even have thought of asking about - and that was between two supposedly very similar Western cultures ;)

I heard at least in the south tattoos are still very stigmatized, and some gaijin wear long sleeves year round to not freak out their neighbors. Being a tattoo artist, nothing short of a burka would cover up my ink ;) Is the Tokyo area a lot more tolerant about tattoos or should I be in hiding whenever a meeting with a potential landlord is scheduled?

What about food safety? Is anybody concerned about relabeled produce from the Fukushima prefecture? Is this a no-no question in Japan?

Thank you for your tips ! I'm glad to have found this community and I'm looking forward to making many new experiences and friends in the coming three years!
Ans

Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners

Tokyo Forum