Join now

Moving to Canada (Toronto)

Hi, I'm moving to Canada from Australia with my hubby and two young daughters (3 yrs & 1 yrs of age) hopefully by the years end and looking into where we should live. If anyone can please help with some advice with where the good areas are and what the bad areas are to avoid for young families in Alberta, Ontario or British Columbia, i can't work out where just yet any advice would be greatly appreciated.

We would ideally like to live in the catchment/district of good schools for our girls to later attend, but for the moment be they would be in daycare and kinder, close to or not too long of a commute to shopping facilities, parks, walking tracks, very safe for young children and families, low cost for a detached house to rent in the beginning, as well as a place with great friendly community spirit.

Also it would be great to hear if anyone else has been in the same situation and can offer some advice with how you did it, obstacles you've faced and information on education for daycare/kinder, primary, secondary and college/university so i have a better understanding of how it works there and how much to expect to pay for when my little ones grow up.

How difficult is it to find work there? My husbands' background is in the Horticulture Industry / City Council Management. Can anyone in this Industry offer some information about what seasonal work means for this job and also for this line of work what are the duties in Winter like? Are you still expected to spend the majority of your working day outdoors?

Toronto Forum