Join now

The things we say that are taken to heart (Trinidad & Tobago)

Some people are up in arms over the statement made by our Prime Minister re providing aid to one of the island after Tomas. Thank God, we live in a democratic society where FREE speech is cherished by everyone, even by the politicians.

In my opinion, I think that there is more to the statement than the population is aware of and an underlying message was being sent to the politicians of the island. Ever since the comment was made that Trinidad is no longer an ATM machine, some people have been trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill with the statement and any other comment which is a gentle reminder that Trinidad is no longer an ATM machine.

I am not usually a fan of Dr. Job but I had to agree with him when he said this morning that companies in Trinidad need to start looking at getting their products on the international market and to stop depending on the smaller islands for their revenue. The smaller islands should not be able to hold us to "ransom" because of a statement made. If they don't want to purchase our products, then that is OK. Let's take the opportunity to start revamping our ways of doing business and looking for international markets to go after.

When the larger nations make their statements re AID being supplied to other countries, everybody gets quiet. So my take is: Thank God for freedom of speech and that I will not be thrown in jail for the statements that I make because I know alot of people that I will be rubbing shoulders with in a cell.

Trinidad & Tobago Forum

Our Global Partners