Join now

Capoeira (Tunis)

Hi All,
For all interested in doing capoeira - brazilian dance/martial art I am starting training sessions / course in Sidi Bou Said KDanse studio from April.
Capoeira is great for both children and adults alike - great way to keep fit and discover a bit of brazilian culture.
At the moment I am looking at numbers to see the ration of children vs. adults to see if we need to do separate groups. Please let me know if you need more details and are interested for yourself or your kids.
Myself I have been training since Protected content group Mundo Capoeira in Dublin. I hold orange-blue belt which in the group stands for Monitora and allows to give classes.
More info on capoeira and links below.

Ania / Monitora Atomica

“Capoeira is a fight for dancers and a dance for fighters. It is a duel between pals. It is a game, a dance, a fight, a perfect mixture of strength and rhythm, poetry and agility. Music and singing rule the movements. Force leaves its place to rhythm. Violence submits to melody. It goes beyond antagonisms.”

Origins
Capoeira’s origins are widely disputed. There are many who disagree on whether it arrived with enslaved Africans or whether Africans created it once they reached Brazil.

The game
Capoeira, unlike other martial arts, can be more accurately described as a game. Capoeira was and is composed of cat like movements where participants collapse to the ground, use cartwheels, flips, handstands and many other deceptive movements to avoid strikes and injury by opponents. A lot of the kicks and some movements done in Capoeira can be seen in other arts, but the difference is the delivery.

The name of the capoeira game is jogo. The jogo is played by two capoeira practitioners (capoeiristas) at a time, inside a ring of people called roda, which is composed of other capoeiristas and/or onlookers. The capoeiristas engage in a series of attack and counter attack movements. Player or not you are expected to give energy to the roda by clapping and singing in response to the person “in charge” of the roda. As one contestants leaves the circle another immediately takes his place. This interaction between the group continues until the group decides to disband.

Music plays a deeply important role in the capoeira game. The main instrument, the berimbau, sets the pace for the jogo, and the capoeira players must follow accordingly. If the berimbau player chooses a fast paced rhythm, the capoeiristas play fast, throwing rapid kicks and flips; if he plays a slow rhythm the player slow down, focusing more trickery and control. Two other core instruments (more can be brought in depending on the style) accompany the berimbau: the pandeiro (tambourine) and the atabaque (drum). Along with these instruments, participants in the capoeira roda sing songs in Portuguese while clapping to the beat.

We believe that Capoeira’s role in the evolution of martial arts should not be ignored, forgotten or denied. The bravery of its practitioners in the past to protect their freedom and in the present to maintain their traditions is a testament to the fact that true greatness can be suppressed but never destroyed.

more:
Protected content
and
Protected content

Tunis Forum

Our Global Partners