Need expat info for UAE?
Connect with fellow expats in the UAE
Join exciting events and groups
Exchange tips about expat life in the UAE
A Brief Glance at the UAE
Get an impression of the UAE with some relevant facts and figures about the country’s demographics, languages, and economy.
- Country name: United Arab Emirates
- Government type: constitutional monarchy
- Area (km²): 83,600
- Climate: subtropical-arid
- Capital: Abu Dhabi
- Population: 9,157,000 (July 2015 estimate)
- Population density: 109/km²
- Major urban areas: Abu Dhabi (2.7 million); Dubai (2.5 million); Sharjah (1.4 million)
- Ethnic groups: Emirati 16.6%, other Arabs 23%, 42.3% Asians (subcontinent), 12.1% other Asians, 6% other expatriates. Only around 16.6% of the population is comprised of UAE nationals, as the population is dominated by expats.
- Languages: Arabic (official language) and English, while Hindu, Urdu, and other South Asian languages are widely spoken.
- Religions: Muslim 76%, Christian 9%, other 15% (2007 estimate). Islam is the official state religion.
- Gross domestic product: 339.1 billion USD (nominal); 641.9 billion USD (PPP) (2015 estimate)
- GDP per capita: 67,000 USD (2015 estimate)
- Unemployment rate: 3.6% (2014)
- Mercer Cost of Living Index 2015: Dubai (23) and Abu Dhabi (33)
- Human Development Index 2014: 0.835 (ranked 41st)
- Currency: UAE Dirham (د.إ / AED)
- Time zone: GST (UTC + 04:00)
- Country code: +971
- Emergency number: 999
- Voltage: 230 V / 50 Hz
- Recommended vaccinations: routine vaccines, hepatitis A, typhoid
We do our best to keep this article up to date. However, we cannot guarantee that the information provided is always current or complete.