Join now

Possibly moving to UB with four kids (Ulaanbaatar)

Hi all,
We have an offer to move to UB for about four years. We have four kids aged 2, 6, 8 and almost 10. They have been attending a German school until March Protected content then we homeschooled them since we were abroad without access to an International School.

My questions are - which school is best? I've been hearing very mixed things about the American School. Is ISU the only accredited school? What is there to do for kids that is not connected to a school - are there sports clubs for kids, pools, or are there some organized kids activities (we were in Chisinau before where the Expat community was very busy offering all sorts of things for the kids, all privately organized).

I'd love to continue homeschooling but I'm afraid of socially isolating my kids. Are there any other homeschoolers in town? (We are not Christian - this always seems to be associated with homeschooling.)

Where should we live?? We'd need a house, if possible, with lots of space for rambunctious kids. I heard there is a community where many of the US Embassy staff live - is that open to the public or only to FSO staff?

Any other general tips and advice about moving to UB with small(ish) kids would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot,
Claudia

Ulaanbaatar Forum

Our Global Partners