Need expat info for USA?
Connect with fellow expats in the USA
Join exciting events and groups
Exchange tips about expat life in the USA
United States: Facts and Figures
The US in numbers: get an overview of all the relevant key facts and figures on the United States in this brief introductory article!
- Country Name: United States of America
- Government Type: constitution-based federal republic
- Area (km²): 9,161,966
- Climate: temperate
- Capital: Washington, D.C.
- Population: 316,438,601 (July 2013 estimate)
- Population Density: 34.5/km²
- Major Urban Areas: New York-Newark (19.3 million); Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana (12.675 million); Chicago (9.134 million); Miami (5.699 million); Washington, D.C. (4.421 million)
- Ethnic groups: white 79.96%, black 12.85%, Asian 4.43%, Amerindian and Alaska native 0.97%, native Hawaiian and other Pacific islander 0.18%, two or more races 1.61%. A total of 15.1% of the population (of any ethnic group) is Hispanic.
- Languages: English 82.1%, Spanish 10.7%, other Indo-European 3.8%, Asian and Pacific island 2.7%, other 0.7%. Please note that the United States does not have an official language, although English has official status in 28 of the 50 states.
- Religions: Protestant 51.3%, Roman Catholic 23.9%, Mormon 1.7%, other Christian 1.6%, Jewish 1.7%, Buddhist 0.7%, Muslim 0.6%, other or unspecified 2.5%, unaffiliated 12.1%, none 4% (2007 estimate)
- Gross Domestic Product: USD 16.02 trillion (2012)
- GDP Per Capita: USD 51,700 (2012)
- Unemployment Rate: 8.1% (2012)
- Human Development Index: 0.937 (2013)
- Currency: US Dollar ($ / USD)
- Time Zones: Eastern Standard Time (GMT -5), Central Standard Time (GMT -6), Mountain Standard Time (GMT -7), Pacific Standard Time (GMT -8), Alaska Standard time (GMT -9), Hawaii Standard Time (GMT -10)
- Country Code: +1
- Emergency Number: 911
- Voltage: 120V / 60 Hz
- Recommended Vaccinations: routine