Join now

Job Market in Austria - Help (Vienna)

Dear Expats,

I am sending you this message hoping that someone can help me or advise me. I don't seem to be able to get a job in Austria (I don't even seem to be getting the attention from local headhunters) despite having 17 years of international professional experience (8 of it at a management level – Business Development Manager and Project Manager), speaking several languanges (including German at B2 Level), and despite having worked in Austria for several years (until I lost my job).
I am 39 years old have a PhD in chemical engineering, a degree (pre-Bologna) in chemical engineering and a MSc in renewable energy, I have worked/managed projects in USA, Middle East, Asia and Europe in the energy sector.
I am NOT looking (necessarily) for jobs in the energy sector, I am looking for jobs where my management experience can be used, where my language skills can become valuable this would mean ideally a position in BD (international) or (classic) PM in a international company based in Vienna/Austria but with business abroad.
The experience I have gathered namely as PM can be translated to any business sector once I had no strong technical focus but rather management – responsible for schedule, budget, reporting, team coordination, focal point towards client and inhouse senior managment, etc..
Although having this experience and this flexibility in terms of business areas I have struggled dramatically in Austria (where I want/need to stay for personal reasons).
I am posting this message hoping someone can help me out.
Thank you very much.
M

Vienna Forum