Join now

Documentary on Arts Channel NZ Tues Jul 6 (Wellington)

Wanted to let the NZ community know about this Protected content seen this film and it is inspiring.

Arts Channel Tuesday 6th July, 7.00pm New Zealand
Protected content
Documentary: I Remember Better When I Paint

Narrated by Academy Award-winning actress Olivia de Havilland, this is an informative documentary offering pivotal new insights into the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease through the creative arts. In the film, leading international neurologists share findings which support the transformative power of drawing, painting, music and museum visits, illustrating how the parts of the brain related to emotions and creativity are largely spared by the disease, and therefore dramatically changing the way we look at Alzheimer’s and related disorders. The film shows how creative workshops are being embraced as exciting and effective therapy methods in several countries worldwide, opening doors of communication between those living with the disease and their caregivers and families.

I Remember Better When I Paint also tells the compelling story of Hilda Gorenstein, an artist known as Hilgos, who was left lost, agitated and uncommunicative by Alzheimer’s disease but regained a quality of life through returning to painting with the help of students from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. The Hilgos Foundation now awards scholarships to students who help those suffering from memory loss, acknowledging and celebrating the astonishing impact of the arts on people with Alzheimer’s. Featuring Yasmin Aga Khan, daughter of famous actress and victim of Alzheimer’s Rita Hayworth, and president of Alzheimer’s Disease International.

Wellington Forum

Our Global Partners