Join now

Physician & Professor looking into Welly Options (Wellington)

My wife and I have been looking into various opportunities to live and work abroad. We are currently in Chicago, but want a new challenge and to experience a different culture. As a US pediatrician there are not many options- basically Canada, Australia, NZ, Singapore and US Military bases. My wife is a university history professor, so she has more options but the jobs are more competitive.

Feel free chiming in on any of these questions or with a general suggestion:

1. Is it hard to find jobs for two professionals in New Zealand. Should we wait until we both have a jobs lined up, or should I find a pediatric job and hope my wife can find something suitable after we arrive?

2. Wellington seems like the best choice personally/professionally for us given we are a late 30's couple (no children) who seek a walkable downtown, cafes, culture and access to the outdoors in a place where we can both find good jobs in our fields. Auckland is 2nd and then maybe Dunedin or ChCh given its university and med school. Does it sound like we are on the right track?

3. Any feedback from physicians or professors on things we should know about a job search in New Zealand?

Thanks, any input would be greatly appreciated.

-TK

Wellington Forum

Our Global Partners