Moving to Wroclaw?

Connect with fellow expats in Wrocław
Join exciting events and groups
Get information in our Wrocław guides
Exchange tips about expat life in Wrocław

Moving to Wroclaw

Wroclaw welcomes foreigners who have chosen to relocate to this beautiful city. Being the largest city in Western Poland means Wroclaw has grown and developed to such an extent that expats moving to Wroclaw will be joining a diverse and proud community. Read on for more info on the city and more.

About Wroclaw

The largest city in Western Poland, Wroclaw benefits from links to busy Krakow and fast links to other areas in and around West Poland as well as neighboring Germany. In 2012, the population reached over 632,000, and this number has continued to increase. Expatriates moving to Wroclaw will find themselves living in a city that features a range of nationalities, including a large number of students.

Wroclaw’s expat community includes a mix of expatriates enjoying the start of a new life in Poland, with many freelancing and finding themselves able to enjoy all the city of Wroclaw has to offer them. Wroclaw has a unique combination of history and cultural make up, combining elements of the past, such as the thirteenth century markets, with new cultures and trends.

The Climate in Wroclaw

Wroclaw’s climate will suit the majority of expats wishing to move to the city, as it is one of the warmer cities within Poland. The seasonal changes are similar to those in the rest of Central Europe; January is the coldest month with an average temperature of -0.5°C, while snow features in the winter, and the warmest month is July with an average temperature of just under 20°C. 

Visas for Poland

Wroclaw is rapidly gaining more attention from tourists and businessmen alike. To ensure a trouble-free stay, make sure that you have all your paperwork in order early on.  As citizen of an EU/EEA state, as well as Norway, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, or Iceland, you do not need to get a visa for your move to Wroclaw. You will, however, be expected to get a Residence Permit if you plan on staying for more than 3 months.

With regards to living and working in Poland legally as a non-EEA citizen, you must apply for a valid visa, and you can get all the information from your nearest Polish Consulate. Expats whose assignments are over 90 days need to apply for a long term visa (D-type). You will also require a Residence Permit, and remember to submit this at least 45 days before the end of your current legal residence period. You can find more information on visas and permits for third-country nationals in our article on Moving to Poland.  

Ivan Dlouhy

"Since moving to Warsaw, I have been able to make some great friends and attend InterNations events with other expats who understand what it's like to be so far from home."

Raquel Santos

"During my first month in Warsaw, I attended an InterNations event and immediately felt as if I had acquired a great network of expats contacts and new friends."

Global Expat Guide